he Union of the Co-operatives of Consumers and Users of Madrid, UNCUMA, was created on April 13, 1949, under the first denomination of Territorial Union of Co-operatives of Consumption and Economy by the Consumption of Madrid, registered in the Register of the General Direction of the Co-operatives under the number 4.564, and later, with the current denomination, in the Register of the Organizations of Consumers of the Community of Madrid, under the number 24.
Its goals are:
- To represent the general interests of these organizations while being able to start the relevant legal actions.
- To maintain and ensure the purity of the co-operative spirit and the harmony between its members, or between those and their partners, exercising, for this purpose, the conciliation in the conflict situations.
- To organize for the co-operative organizations gathered, the services of common interest of assistances, audits, accountants, legal, technical audits and all what is necessary to the interests of them.
- To take part, when the Public Administration requests it, in the Institutions and Organizations emanating, with like goal the improvement of the legal mode, and in the socio-economic Institutions.
- To promote and direct the co-operative, technical, vocational training and in the topics which touch the consumers and users, of the Co-operatives of Consumers and Users and their members and workers.
- To promote and support the creation of Co-operatives of Consumers and Users.
- To promote work of assistance, insurances, forecast, credit, economy and, especially, the co-operative integration between its members.
- To support all studies, publications, experiments, exhibitions and events, and in general, any activity aiming at greater information on the co-operative and the defense of the consumers and users rights.
- Promote and defend equal opportunities.
- Promote the companies social responsibility, promoting the corresponding actions for this purpose, within the movement of cooperativism of consumers and users.
- International cooperation for development.
- The promotion of cooperative, business and professional training, including carrying out activities and projects whose beneficiaries may be the elderly, women, youth, immigrants, disabled persons, ex-prisoners, ex drug addicts, sick people, etc. And, in general, any group at risk of social and/or labor exclusion.
- Activities and projects related to environmental protection, sustainable and responsible consumption, energy, research and development, technology, training, employment and advice and technical assistance to consumers, cooperatives and Public and Private Organizations, Foundations and Universities.
- Any other function that may correspond, and especially those related to the cooperative of consumers and users or the defense of their legitimate interests, or that is attributed by legal provisions.